Online collections

collections.quest

All collections » Tokens » Leeds Halfpenny

 

Leeds Halfpenny D&H34

On the front side there is a bust of the mitered Bishop Blaise, who is the patron saint of wool makers, and a comb for combing wool. The circle legend reads: SUCCESS TO THE YORKSHIRE WOOLLEN MANUFACTORY. The bishop's chapel once stood on the hill of the same name, about five miles from Bristol. 

The reverse side shows two rows of buildings in perspective, with gates, a road, and footpaths between them. The denomination “LEEDS HALFPENNY” is indicated at the top, and the year of issue “1793” at the bottom. The image is quite skillfully done, with a good representation of the perspective and can be used to study in detail the presented buildings and the surrounding area. The Mixed Cloth Hall shown on the token was built by weavers in 1758 so as not to sell their products in the open on the streets. The buildings had a rectangular shape and many large windows to best illuminate the products offered. Initially, about one thousand eight hundred stands were built, which were the unconditional property of the weavers who produced colored fabrics. White Cloth Hall, built in 1775,

Edge design is represented by several different options. On the depicted token, the edge is smooth.

Stamp engraver Jean-Pierre Droz (1746-1823), maker Matthew Boulton (1728-1809).

The customer of the token, freeholder Henry Brownbill, was a watchmaker and silversmith on Briggate in Leeds.

Dalton & Hamer 34