Online collections

collections.quest

All collections » Tokens » Penryn Halfpenny

 

Penryn Halfpenny D&H4

The obverse depicts the coat of arms of the city of Penrhyn, topped with a plumed helmet surrounded by war trophies. Legend at the top: "PENRYN VOLUNTEERS".

The reverse side bears the large coat of arms of Lord Dunstanville with the motto of the upper part: PRO REGE ET POPULO (For the King and the People).

The tokens were made in 1796 by order of an old acquaintance of Bolton, Colonel George Chapman George. The design was developed by the German engraver Konrad Heinrich Küchler (Conrad Heinrich Küchler 1740-1810), as a result of which the images turned out to be similar to coins issued during the existence of the German principalities. 
In August 1796, 19,174 tokens were sent to George Chapman.

The token is dedicated to Sir Francis Basset (1757-1835), Baronet of Tehidi, Registrar of Penryn. On April 3, 1794, as a major, he was appointed commander of the corps of the Penrhyn militia, created to counter the threat of a French invasion. On December 24, 1795, Francis received the rank of colonel, and on June 17, 1796, the title of Baron de Dunstanville.

The obverse depicts the coat of arms of the city of Penrhyn, topped with a plumed helmet surrounded by war trophies. Legend at the top: "PENRYN VOLUNTEERS".

The reverse side bears the large coat of arms of Lord Dunstanville with the motto of the upper part: PRO REGE ET POPULO (For the King and the People).

This issue was the last private commission executed by the Soho Mint before a contract was made with the British Government for the minting of a copper coin in 1797.

Edge is smooth. Engraver: Konrad Heinrich Küchler, Producer: Bolton.